Hello WhyNotters! Welcome back to your weekly, Wednesday Wactivities.
Most of you Willa and the Whynots fans are somewhere in the US where it is shockingly cold. This week’s Wactivity is one I heard of ages ago but was waiting for just this kind of weather to do it. See, the Polar Vortex is good for something!
What you need:
– Food coloring (optional)
– REALLY cold weather
& One or more Wacky WhyNotters
What to do:
– Put a drop or twelve of food coloring (if you choose) into your balloon, then fill it with water and tie it shut.
– Repeat to your heart’s delight!
– Set those colorful water balloons out in that frigid weather and wait.
– When they are solid, pierce the balloon itself and peel it off. You are left with some awesome COLD ROCKS.
Take it further??? WhyNot!
– Try adding glitter or other teensy objects to the balloon and the water!
– What happens if you use those twisting animal-makin’ balloons?
– What if you use juice or soda?
– What happens if you nestle your balloons on the ground vs. if you leave them on the pavement?
1. We had some trouble with filling the balloons because the water coming out of our taps was SO cold that it was making the balloons contract, resulting in water spurting out all over the place! We had more success with warm water.
2. See those cool crystal structures in our balloons? We put ours on the ground and the part that was touching the earth was warmer. Some of it was even still liquid, despite the 12 degree weather! Mother Nature is so cool!!!